Welcome to NPA
In a Constitutional state such as South Africa, all citizens have a right to enjoy a better quality of life … free from fear and free from crime.
One cannot overstate the importance of access to information in a democratic state and I hope you will find this website a useful tool in your endeavour to better understand the NPA, in particular, and the criminal justice system in general.
As a key partner in the criminal justice system, the NPA plays a critical role in ensuring that perpetrators of crime are charged and held responsible for their criminal actions.
While the core work of the NPA will remain prosecutions and being a lawyer of the people, our strategy seeks to ensure that the organization becomes more pro-active so as to:
- contribute to growth of the South African economy;
- contribute to freedom from crime;
- contribute to social development;
- promote a culture of civic morality;
- reduce crime; and
- ensure public confidence in the Criminal Justice System.